Wednesday, February 9, 2011

WEEK EIGHT - LAST WEEK IN ARGENTINA

Oh me, oh my...

Here it is, my last week in Argentina, and boy am I excited. I love Argentina and all but I am so ready to get out of this crazy place and get going in my own country. No offense Argentines. It’s insane. I really can’t believe I’m leaving here. I’m so excited, but I am so scared too. Ever since last March I have been waiting for my mission and I realized that the MTC totally doesn’t count. I have been waiting for this moment for so long. Tuesday... here I come!

We had a lot of success in our new area and we are planning on committing a lady to be baptized on Sunday. It’s our last week. Everyone has baptisms and we think she is ready, so why not? Wish us luck. Actually, who needs luck when you’ve got the Lord on your side? haha

We became a little more creative with teaching lessons when I discovered a little store had chalk. We taught a 15 year old boy the Plan of Salvation by drawing it out on the sidewalk for him to actually see and understand. It was a blast and he liked it too. We found a family in the park who were soooo nice. We are going back to teach grandparents, brothers, kids, grandkids and all on Saturday. They loved us so much they even took a pic of us. Haha They also offered Hermana Kirkham beer. She was about to drink it when I told her what it was. That kind of thing has happened to her quite a bit. She doesn’t realize the worldly things out here. Haha It sure does make for a funny story though.

We also came across our first woman who, the second we started talking to her, realized she was missing something in life. She started crying right there and told us how every day she is tormented by her family relationships (or lack thereof). She used the word tormented more times than I can count. I started crying with her, and what’s worse was she wouldn’t let us come visit her. She said her husband wouldn’t allow it and they were moving tomorrow anyway. My heart broke as we did all that we could do: pray and hand her a pamphlet and hope that someone will find her in her new area and bring her the gospel. That’s the worst feeling in the world. She thanked us over and over again for listening and being there with her and she said she knew Heavenly Father was our companion in our journeys. It was a powerful experience.

This week I still have been struggling my purpose. I still remember why I wanted to be here, but grasping it when you get overwhelmed is a whole other story. Well... we have these preach my gospel videos here and our district decided to watch them with the little bit of free time we get after meals. They are quite possibly the best things I have ever seen. It’s called the District and they film an actual district in San Diego teaching investigators and tracting and going through all their hard times and interviews of their life stories and all sorts of cool things. I don’t think I have felt the spirit stronger than when I watch those videos. Everyone has given up so much to serve missions. i.e. They have cancer, their family deserts them, they didn’t come with a testimony but still knew it was right… all sorts of things. I realized how incredibly blessed I am to have so many people support me and love me and I didn’t have to give up much to be here. But these missionaries are changing people’s lives and the things they discover about themselves and the testimonies they receive and the spirit they feel is incredible. I just simply cannot wait to get out there. Heavenly Father definitely sent me a little package haha. That’s what Hermana George likes to call tender mercies. A little package sent from Heavenly Father without a name written on it to help us in our time of need. So, we watched these every day this week and I have found my purpose AGAIN. I just want to help and love people, bring them to Christ and show them there’s a better way.

Another little side note, as I continue to read the Ensign, I discover great new things all the time. I would like you all to read the priesthood session talk by Russell M. Nelson about missionaries… Every member a missionary. We have been learning of the importance of planting those seeds as friends or family just at home because we find those people are already somewhat familiar with the teachings. And because someone they love has shared it with them, they are more open and ready to receive. Anyway, that talk is powerful and you will see the ways you can help further missionary work. It’s great. We need the help of you all! So go out and rock it!

I miss you all so very much. Life is challenging, but life is good. Read the scriptures daily, pray often and the Lord will guide your steps. I can’t wait to talk to you all on Tuesday morning. Your inspiring words help me daily and your faces help me too. More than you could ever imagine. I think of you always and appreciate you all so much more. Too bad I had to leave to discover that, right? I guess it’s usually how it goes. But don’t let it happen to you! Love our family! We need them and remember we want to be with each other forever and ever. What a great blessing that is. I love you again. I miss you and know Heavenly Father is with you. Be good and see you soon!

Love, ash face

No comments: