Wednesday, February 16, 2011

ASHLEY'S GUARDIAN ANGEL

This week brought about some sad news for our family... Ashley's Grandpa Berg (Tammy's dad) passed away Saturday, February 12th. We agonized for a couple of days about how and when to tell Ash, knowing that his passing would be difficult for her to hear. She loved him dearly and was fortunate to spend some unforgetable time living with them in California two summers ago.



We finally decided she would want to know now. Writing an email to break this difficult news was a challenge. A phone call would've been so much better, but that was not an option. On top of that, Ashley hasn't been in Uruguay for even a week and everything is new and foreign and the adjustment to this transition is a little fragile right at the moment.

She has left behind her a district that has been with her for nine weeks.... a family and home away from home. She now has a native companion who doesn't speak a lick of English. Ash says it is like another language in Uruguay and she understands nothing. They live in very poor circumstances. Her tiny ward consists of 20 active members. There are no young women, no young men and only 2 primary children. They don't have a primary organization so the children go to class with their parents. It is quite different from Utah!

However, my dad had been sick for quite some time. There was no quality of life left. He was ready to go. His last trip to the hospital was cut short because he requested to go home to be with his family to die. And that request was granted. What a blessing it was that he was able to be in his own home surrounded by loved ones who were able to say goodbye. He passed peacefully during his sleep.

The last time I spoke with my dad I told him I was giving him a "BIG Ashley hug" from her. He loved her hugs! Who doesn't? She is known for her tight, hard, long, genuine hugs. You can feel her soul when she hugs you. For a moment I wasn't sure if he was understanding everything I was saying, but then he gently smiled and said, "Oh, I got it!" That made me happy.

Ashley knew when she left on her mission that she would not see him when she returned. So, she had already said her goodbyes. That doesn't make it any easier though.

Ashley's response in learning of grandpa's passing....

"This has been one roller coaster of a week. Hearing about grandpa doesn't make this week any better. I can't even tell you how grateful I am to have this gospel and know that we will be with him again. That is the only thing that makes this ok. I feel as though he will be my guardian angel here though and I look forward to that."

Then she leaves her final words to grandpa.....

"Dear sweet gramps... You lived a very special life and there are many who love you. You will be missed, but we know you are in a better place without pain. I love you."

He was the best dad! I am so priviledged to have had him in my life. He taught me principles of life that are eternal. He made me believe I could do anything!! He showed me he loved me in everything he did. We are so blessed to have the knowledge of this everlasting gospel and to know that this is not the end. We will be with him again. He has left a huge hole in my life, but he is free from his weak, feeble body and pain. He is surrounded by loved ones. He is happy! I know this! And I take great comfort in that.


I love you dad!



That's all for now.... I'm sure Ash would appreciate any letters of comfort from those of you who feel so inclined. Mourning is always easier when you are surrounded by loved ones. Make sure to send mail (or dear elder) to her new address in Uruguay.

2 comments:

Liana Brown said...

She is such a strong girl! I admire her so much! I have no idea how dear Elder works, nor do I know how to send a letter to Uruguay, but will you please tell her I am thinking about her and she is always in my prayers! Thanks for updating this blog Tammi, I love to hear how she is doing! She looks so happy in the pictures!

Rob said...

This is great to read! I want to send her a real letter, sounds like dearelder.com is the best way for that, right?