Monday, June 18, 2012

Pressing Forward...

Progresso... sighhhhhh. It has been a week, not just any week, THE week. We have had soooo much opposition. I can’t even explain and after starting out the last week with lots of enthusiasm and faith, we both broke. It’s been a rough week for our whole district.
We have been visiting lots of people, obviously, seeing what the area has to offer. We have been teaching lots of people and trying to use the members, our greatest strength with us. It proved to be working last week. Well, all our investigators just decided none of them wanted to go to church (it’s been awhile since that has happened) and that was just the topper of the week yesterday. We’ve been trying so hard to help people Progress and after all our work, we took some members with us to visit a family and they completely lost all interest. We try so hard and when the members have so much to do and sacrifice so much to come with us and to have a family that just doesn’t want anything to do with anything, it is a crusher.

I don’t know what it is here, but people like to fight. I’m pretty passive (and at the same time not), but when it comes to this sort of thing I just let it go. Also whenever I testify to people, usually they will stop their arguments because you can’t argue someone’s testimony, but everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has been questioning me. It’s frustrating and really caused me to look deep inside and ask myself how I know all these things are true. Lots of people have straight up been asking how we received our testimonies of these things. I’m a little different from everyone. I was born with my testimony built into me. I have never once questioned the church, never once questioned the principles mom and dad have taught me. Just seeing the lives of others not doing what they should be was testimony enough for me. I remember people saying, ‘you should pray to know the truth.’ I tried that and the feeling that came over me was, "Why are you asking this? You already know everything is true." That was enough for me.

I had to speak in Sacrament... the first time in the mish. It was an interesting topic… the blessings of serving a mission. Who would have thunk it. I struggled with the topic all week long, how can I sum up in 10 minutes the blessings of serving a mission. I used the talk from November conference priesthood session to help me out. It was a good opportunity for me to take time and think about the things I’ve gained from my time here (even though I didn’t want to come here to receive blessings of my own). I just wanted to pay back the Savior for all he’s done for me. That will never be possible...

We are doing that activity to take the baskets. I hope you’ve prayed and thought of someone. We are going June 1st. We will make the baskets. The cool thing about living in Uruguay, we make everything by hand. Then we will put random things in the basket, not sure what yet. It doesn’t really matter, as long as you have a Book of Mormon with a testimony written in it. While the members are taking the baskets, getting to know this person and stating that they are members of the church, and inviting them to a family night, my comp and I will be at the church making cookies and hot chocolate for them to enjoy. It’s the only thing we’ve got to find good people (and families too). PRAY that it will work! Not only on this side of the world, but on your side too.  I really think it would be awesome for you to do, a great opportunity. Let me know...

My comp and I are really well. It is good. We are on the same page and working together, supporting and uplifting each other and it’s awesome. I know this church is true! I know this is the Lord’s work and he’s in charge, I just don’t know what he’s doing... but gotta keep the faith. I’m so grateful to all of you for everything! I hope you feel my prayers and are doing alright. I love you!!! Love, Ashley



No comments: