Saturday, June 23, 2012

My Time is Coming to an End

Hi everyone : ) I hope this week was AMAZING with lots of fun and smiles. It was for us here anyway… well kinda. We still haven’t seen much progress, in fact it’s been the opposite. But I can feel myself growing and my comp is too. That’s good. Despite the MANY hardships we’ve had, we are still going strong.  I just want to say thank you to everyone who writes me. Thank you for all your love and continuous support. It’s something that is very much needed. I would be nothing without you guys behind me. Thanks Shaq for writing me : ) last week. I forgot to attach your email so it didn’t get it printed out, so I have two emails from you now. Better I guess, even though I was upset when I couldn’t read it last week. Brooke! I hope you had a good birthday: 18! I can’t even believe it. Your card should be coming your way but I’m afraid it will get there after I am already home. The district leader is a tid bit slow in getting things done. Dad! Just in case you don’t get my stuff either… HAPPY FATHER'S DAY! I love you.

This week... Monday was fun. We spent the whole day at president’s house and cooked Salteñas and chocolate chip cookies. Cookies don’t exist here and no one cooks anything with butter either so they freak out a little. Chocolate chips don’t exist either so they aren’t the same. Well, a lot of stuff for the cookies don’t exist, but they are better than nothing. I laughed at the family night they had because it reminded me of home: everyone playing, doing their own thing, getting distracted; the mom trying to keep everyone focused and the dad just causing more distractions by playing with the kids. I ended up in tears laughing so hard... it almost felt like Christmas. It smelled like it and it’s cold enough to be. It made me miss everyone. Can it be Christmas when I get back? Just kidding. It was good to feel at home.

                                    Me on the Farm
Well, after that, later in the week, we lost all of our investigators. The few we had are done. No one wants to progress and that was frustrating. I hate getting my hopes up just to be let down. It seems that it happens all too often. Life is full of that I guess and there's nothing I can do to change that but... you know... It helps us appreciate the good times more. In the meantime, we have been trying to get references. It's the only way we can work because we don't know where else to go. Our weekly goal is usually 4 and somtimes we don't get that. We have been getting creative and thinking outside the box, but none of the people we have contacted want anything to do with anything. We still keep marching. The baskets, well most of them, have been given out... no one planned family nights with them so they are just kinda hanging in the air. One family just ate their basket and another gave theirs to a member. Oh gosh. People are so FUNNY sometimes. It's ok. We will see if we can get appointments with those families that were given baskets.

                             Milking the Cow!  Ya baby!
We had branch council. Our president loves us. He asked how the ward princesses were doing. We filled them in on stuff and then he started asking about our well being. The cold came this week and it's harsh. In the house, we can't feel our toes or fingers. They go numb and sore... it's horrible. So he bought us electric blankets and those are expensive! They bought us more fire wood and came over to the house to help us get everything ready to go. We are very blessed to have them taking care of us. They wanted to buy my comp and I leather boots and new coats because what we have isn't much, but we couldn't let them do that. Besides I won't be in the cold too much longer.

To sum up the rest of the week, we've been frozen, gotten more rejections than ever before, and not nice ones... mean ones, and for weekly planning, we have less and less people to plan for every week. Not a good sign. We have had some pretty low points, but at the same time, I've never laughed so hard in my life. Hermana Lopez and I are becoming one. We are one. We enjoy each other's company, and we turn to each other when we need. We are friends. I have seen proof of changes in my life because of the gospel. Obviously, that's the power of it! It's been great.

We did get mail this week. I got your package finally! Thank you, thank you, thank you so much! It came on the perfect day. I am the first person in Uruguay to see the conference Ensign. It hasn't gotten here yet, but I am still reading the other Ensigns, so I can't start it yet. I did sneak a peek at the pictures though. I love them. There is just no time to do everything. I'm trying to finish the New Testament before I leave too.

In spite of everything... we are good. I fear I won't be able to help anyone more before I go, but all I can do is keep working hard and doing everything possible to go strong. The rest is in the Lord's hand. As of now... it's impossible for anyone to get baptized because we have no investigators and if we find someone this week... they have to go to church three times before they can be bapized, but we all know the Lord has a funny way of working. Who knows what we will find. We have been having a good study every morning and I keep finding things about faith and my comp keeps finding things about patience and we share them with each other in comp study. It's been everyday though. We think the Lord is trying to tell us something. We're trying to apply it but... it's easier said than done.

I also got what's called my "trunky packet" this week in the mail. It's a packet to get ready to go home. It's an open packet so the district leader and all the elders that live with him were looking through it and called me to tell me about it. Lame. I did get my plane itinerary, also the schedule for the last week of the mish which is... Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday. I know to you guys I finish the mish on the 28th, but... the Sunday before is my last day really. Monday I'm having the going away party with the ward. Tuesday we go to Monteviedo and working is over. We go to the temple, have FHE and interviews with pres and stay the night in Montevideo. Wednesday we pack up and at 1:00 we leave to the airport. So really… I have very little time. Anyway, also in the packet I have to set goals for the next year of my life: spiritual, finanacial, school, marraige... yeah... sharing the gospel with others and other stuff. It's way intimidating. Things are so unreal. I feel like I'm never going to leave here and so to think of those things... its scary. I wanted to avoid such thoughts, but we have to have the packets prepared for president on that last Tuesday and it's a lot to fill out. There is so much to be done in the Lord's work and never enough time to do it in!!! And every second of my days are dedicated to it! What's going to happen when I have a life?! Oh boy...

For now, I'm just trying to find salvations to secure, testimonies to build, service to give, and lives to be changed. You know... it's a piece of cake. I know it can be done. The Lord's work is amazing and true. Nothing and no one will stop it.

I love you all.  Be good. Stand tall and share what we have. There are people searching. Until next week... love ash.


No comments: