Wednesday, April 27, 2011

This week was quite interesting. So because it was Easter all the Catholic people (which is everyone), went to Melo (a different part of Uruguay) to go to the Virgin Mary and worship her. Go figure… Easter, resurrection of Christ… and they go worship Mary? So, this week really was like a ghost town. We didn’t have any appointments with our investigators all week. They all cancelled on us. So hard! Thing about Uruguay is, people close down shop and cancel school for any reason they can come up with. So all the stores were closed, and no one had school all week long. So this place really was deserted. They call it "la semana de turismo."

We did, however, have a ward activity. We planned it so last minute, but even though we were small in numbers it went SO well! It was an Easter activity and the elders did a treasure hunt using key words from the scriptures. Hermana Hite and I were on different teams and my team totally dominated. I have never seen the ward get so crazy, but we were running around the church trying to find the hidden clues. So fun. I found pretty much all of them with the help of the bishop and his daughter ha. We rocked! We saw the ward bonding a little bit, with us and together as a ward. It was awesome.

Me with Luis' little boy and nephew
Hermana Hite and I shared Easter traditions with each other and as an Easter surprise(during the week while I was showering and sleeping and such), she made an Easter egg hunt for me (without the plastic eggs because they don’t have them here). But, she did little coupons like we do as a family. I got a back rub, muffins and a pizza day from her! It was so sweet of her. I loved it. It was so nice of her to make it as close to home as possible. I love her.

I had my first getting sick experience here. We got fed raw tuna the other day... yeahhhhh. It was rough. My comp and I got really sick and had to spend a few hours of the night inside. It was like tuna jello, ha! That’s what we call it now that we are better. Not fun.

Miracle of the week... The bishop, for whatever reason, decided he wanted to cancel the "talks" in Sacrament and instead called on random people to bear their testimony of the Savior and the atonement. The whole ward was in tears by the end. You could just FEEL of the power of the atonement and the resurrection… the whole reason we are here and the reason this gospel is true. It was awesome to say the least.
My comp and I have been "called on" to talk in district meeting tomorrow. We are to talk on receiving revelation through the BOM and church attendance. She was studying the church attendance and I the BOM. As she was talking to me, she said, I have NEVER gone to church to receive revelation. I was shocked. I sat there with my mouth open just staring. She said she only goes to church because it’s a commandment and because she knows she’s supposed to. She teaches the investigators it’s important to go to partake of the Sacrament and to renew our covenants and start a fresh week. Mom and dad, I would like to thank you for teaching me... yes, it is a commandment to go, and yes the Sacrament is TAN importante (so important). We also go to be uplifted by others, to hear testimonies, to be strengthened and be happy in life. I love church. I have always gone to receive revelation. That is why I "take notes" every Sunday (or I did anyway). It’s a little more difficult being here, worrying about the investigators and Spanish and all. But, of course I’m here to help them. But, at home I always had that notebook with me and I was always taking notes, because I received revelation from others, I was uplifted and helped with my problems. That is so fundamental in church attendance. Anywho, I just wanted to point that out, because I couldn’t believe she only went because it was a commandment. Crazy stuff. The things you learn here.

Be good everyone. I heart your faces. Stay true to the faith.
Love, Ash

No comments: