Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I LOVE GENERAL CONFERENCE!

This week was long and rough. We spent a lot of time trying to get everything fixed (toilet and fridge) in our house and lost a lot of time getting work done. That was frustrating.

As for the weekend… how amazing! I guess we couldn’t have everything be spectacular this week right? We are entitled to one major spiritual event per week haha and that was conference! Luis did not accept our baptismal date, so we will see what happens with him. He’s still so awesome. He will be baptized sometime. Stefanie’s date is for this Saturday. I hope nothing goes wrong this week to prevent her from doing so. Santiago’s date is for next week, but if he didn’t go yesterday to conference, we want to postpone his date again. We had to travel forever away to get to conference. And we were separated from our ward. They went to a different place, so as of right now we don’t know which investigators went. We hope they all did because such powerful messages could have been answers to their prayers. I guess we´ll see.

So... conference made me homesick. haha Like I said, we had to travel far away and on Saturday no one showed up from the stake. It was really sad. But I was spiritually uplifted when I saw my HOME: Salt Lake City. I saw your weather and the people from my home! It was crazy when that realization took place. I heard English hymns, English prayers, English Amens. I got homesick, but it’s all good. It really hit me that I’m not going to be here forever. At this point, that’s what it feels like. This is my life and this will be my life for eternity haha, but I’m getting accustomed to everything and Spanish. But just to leave here and get back to my own language and traditions… that was weird for me to feel and recognize.

The program between conference sessions yesterday about the member who survived 9/11 really touched my comp and I. When we saw the pool in his backyard and the BBQ and American clothes and traditions, we were struck with gratitude as I am so often here. The pleasures we enjoy... man, I just can’t even believe it. My comp kept saying, "God bless America." We were humbled once again. It’s crazy to think that none of you REALLY know what I’m talking about, except dear daddio. I will NEVER TAKE FOR GRANTED my country, my state, my home, the gospel ever again… I say that now right... psh.

Back to conference… we had to stay with the other hermanas who lived closer so we wouldn’t have to pay so much to travel back and forth. It was fun having a sleepover! I didn’t want to carry all my stuff over so I slept in my clothes and all. Good times. On Sunday we left for conference again and their ward actually had a bus to pick up every person in the ward and take them there. I can’t tell you my feelings as I watched FAMILIES, big families, get on our bus… kids of all ages, youth and all. It’s been so long since I’ve seen that. Our ward doesn’t have that. Hermana Hite said, "Hermana, this is how it should be and I promise you other wards will be better." It’s crazy! We filled up the entire bus with families to go. I was touched by the faithful members of this church again. They are awesome. The stake center on Sunday was full. Thank goodness : )

I loved all the talks, of course, and I received answers to three questions that I was searching for. It was so wonderful, but I wanted to touch lightly on Elder Holland’s talk just because he finished up the conference. I can’t tell you the power of the hush that came over the congregation when he bore testimony of our prophet. It was silent. The spirit was so strong and everyone listened and I know everyone agreed when he said, “We stand shoulder to shoulder with you, ready to continue this work in any way we can.” And that my friends is the whole point of our gospel. We stand shoulder to shoulder with the man called of God, who leads and directs our church here on this earth today. We have the power and authority of God on the earth. That is incredible! We stand ready to aide him in any way we can and further this work. That is our purpose in life. We must be willing to do so. I love this gospel. I can’t express my feelings. Without it we have nothing. I stand firm in the faith, as we all do. I’m so grateful for the sacrifices that our leaders have made and I’m so grateful for their Christlike attributes. May we all strive to become more like them.

I caught myself saying yesterday to my comp, "You silly" and "You funny." So, I guess I didn’t grow out of that. I just needed someone I was comfortable enough with for them to bring the kid out in me again!

I love you all with every fiber of my heart! I love this gospel. Be good. Until next week… may all be well.

Love, Ash

P.S. Have you ever seen a lightening storm??? What the junk? They are so wicked awesome. We had one last night. I didn’t know they existed, but the whole sky lights up with lightening every second. It’s sweet.

P.P.S. Grams B. I love you. You’re always on my mind. There’s a letter coming your way : ) and Rick (my cuz) I’m writing you too! Hopefully…. Love you!

No comments: